6 Ways to Celebrate Memorial Day
Memorial Day is an extremely important occasion for our country since it honors those who lost their lives to keep us safe. Here are some simple ideas that can help you honor that special day.
Memorial Day Celebrations / Ideas
1. Help kids in your neighborhood to understand the history of Memorial Day: Memorial Day was established to honor the soldiers who lost their lives in different wars involving the United States. In 1971, the last Monday in May was declared an official holiday to honor those who died during their service in the U.S. military.
2. Prepare some patriotic crafts and share in local celebrations: You can prepare things like patriotic wreaths, patriotic cups, wood block flags, patriotic hand print, popsicle stick flags, patriotic hats, and patriotic necklaces. You can also make desserts and decorate them with patriotic themes.
3. Teach children how to fly the flag: It is important to teach the kids the right way to fly the flag since it is the symbol of our country. Check the right way online and practice with the kids.
4. Pay a visit to a war memorial or a soldier’s grave: Go with your family and leave some flowers and wreathes in the honor of dauntless soldiers who paid their lives to protect us.
5. Attend a parade or any relevant local event: You can know about the Memorial Day parade in local news or online. It is also possible to watch the National Memorial Day Parade which is held in Washington, D.C. on T.V. While watching, teach your children to salute the veterans.
6. Invite a military family to spend the day with: If you happen to know a family who has one or more of its members serving away from home, invite them and celebrate Memorial Day together. This is a good way to express your gratitude for those who risk their lives for you.