Eid al-Fitr is one of the most important festivals for Muslims because of its spiritual significance as it is a gift from Allah for Muslims for their strength to observe fast and obey all the orders of Allah in the holy month Ramadan and it refers to the breaking of the fast of Ramadan, so all Muslims celebrate this feast according to the traditions and the way of celebrations in their country. And in this article we will discuss how Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr in USA.
Eid al-Fitr is the time of joy
Muslims all over the world celebrate Eid al-Fitr on the first day of the 10th month of the Islamic calendar Shawwal after the appearance of new crescent of this month in the sky. On this day, Muslims thank Allah for giving them the power to fast this month as Allah wants, they start to pray al-Eid prayer in the parks and public street and squares, then they meet their neighbors and friends and greet them with some congratulations as Eid Mubarak and happy feast.
This feast is considered as the best time for Muslims to come together as one community to tie the friendship and family relations, it is also the time of joy and celebration.
There are different ways for the celebration of the feast which differ from country to another, and in the following point we will focus on the most common traditions and ways of celebration in Eid al-Fitr in USA.
Eid al-Fitr in USA
As I mentioned each country has its own way for the celebration of the feast but there are many common things that all Muslims share all over the world as following:
• Eid al-Fitr is celebrated for two or three days.
• Muslims start the day with Eid al-Fitr prayer in the squares, streets and public parks.
• They give Zakat al-Fitr to the poor.
• They wear the new clothes that represent spiritual renewal.
• They begin to enjoy eating different kinds of food.
• Families and friends are gathering together to congratulate each other for the coming of the feast.
The unique here in USA in Muslims’ celebrations are as following:
• In USA, Muslims focus in giving gifts to their friends and relatives and mosques give toys to the children who pray Eid al-Fitr prayer.
• There is very remarkable act of charity that most of Muslims do as they give money to the poor to buy what they need or giving them stable foods to serve their community and help the poor.
• Eid al-Fitr isn’t a public holiday and all work places have their normal workings hours but many Islamic work places and organizations may chance the working hours during the feast time.
• Some groups of Muslims campaign for schools in different parts of the country to specify this event as a day-off.
• Eid al-Fitr is considered a public holiday in many schools in New York such as the public schools.