The American Army is the world’s strongest military. Here are some fast-interesting facts about the American military for Armed Forces Day.
Interesting-Fast Facts about Armed Forces Day
1. The American Department of Defense is the largest employer across the entire country with around 3 million employees.
2. Thirty-one of the 44 presidents of the United States have served in the military. One of them, Theodore Roosevelt, received the Medal of Honor.
3. Around 79.000 people join the American military each year. The US army has more people than some popular cities like Florida, San Francisco, and California.
4. The United States Department of Defense dominates around 30 million acres of land across the world, which makes an area a bit larger than the state of Pennsylvania.
5. The president of the United States is the Commander in Chief of the American Military. He makes all final decisions related to the Armed Forces.
6. The Secretary of Defense is the head of the Department of Defense, who controls over all branches of the American Military except the Coast Guard, which is controlled by the Department of Homeland Security.
7. 99% of the U.S. Military has a high school education while only 60% of general population has a high school education.
8. The Pentagon is the headquarters of the American Department of Defense which is considered one of the world’s largest office buildings. It was built during the Second World War. It has a five-sided shape and 17.5 miles of corridors.
9. The Armed Forces Day was established in August, 1949 to replace the separate Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Days.
10. By far, the Civil War was the bloodiest in the history of the American Military with more than 618.000 soldiers’ lives lost.
11. The American Military uses around 1 billion gallons of fuel each year. In 2011, each soldier needed nearly 22 gallons of fuel per day.