Information and Tips for the Month of Ramadan
Five tips for the last ten nights of Ramadan (Laylatul Qadr)
1. Take time off work and worldly duties: We take a break from our jobs quite often to go on holidays and to spend time with loved ones. Why not take this time to focus on worshipping our creator, Allah?
2. Perform I’tikaf in the Masjid: It was a practice of the Prophet (Peace be upon him) to spend the last ten days and nights of Ramadan in the Masjid in I’tikaf.
3. Make long and sincere supplications: When the last one-third of the night remains, our lord descends towards the heaven of the earth and proclaims. Who is asking from me anything, so I may grant it to him? And who is that who seeks my forgiveness, so I may forgive him?” [Bukhari, Muslim].
4. Seek the night of power, Laylat Al-Qadr: The Messenger (Peace be upon him) said: “Whoever stands in prayer in Laylatul Qadr out of faith and expecting reward, all his sins are forgiven”.
This night is worth more than 1000 months of worship as explicitly mentioned in the Holy Quran. [Quran Chapter 97].
5. Make this special prayer: Aisha (RadhiAllahu ‘anha) asked: O Messenger of Allah, if I know what night is the night of Qadr, what should I say during it?! He (Peace be upon him) said: “Say, Oh Allah, you are pardoning and you love to pardon, so pardon me”. [Ahmad, Ibn Majah, and Tirmidhi].
Everything you should know about Ramadan
• Ramadan begins once the new moon is sighted.
• Ramadan is one of the holiest months of the year for Muslims.
• In this month, Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset.
• This means, no food, drink or sexual intimacy until sunset.
• Fasting helps Muslims become more conscious of Allah (God).
• The Quran was revealed in this month to Prophet Muhammad.
• Fasting this month is one of the five pillars of Islam.
• The gates of heaven open and the gates of hell fire close in Ramadan.
• It is obligatory for all capable Muslims to fast this month.
• Those who are travelling or are sick can make up their fasting later.
Eight major events that took place in Ramadan
1. The Holy Quran was revealed.
2. The battle of Badr was won.
3. The conquest of Makkah took place.
4. Khadija (May Allah be pleased with him) passed away.
5. Ali Ibn Abi Talib (May Allah be pleased with him) was killed.
6. The tribe of Thaqeef accepted Islam.
7. Salahudeen defeated the crusaders.
8. The Mongols were finally defeated.
We wish all Muslims a blessed Ramadan…